Castle of Warmian Bishops in Lidzbark Warmiński

Tourist attractions

One of the most valuable monuments in Poland. It is the best preserved building in the territories of the former Teutonic state, even though the castle itself was never directly ruled by the Teutonic Knights.

Castle in Lidzbark was built between 1350-1401 on the site of a small Prussian town called Lecbarg, located in the arms of the rivers Łyna and Symsarna. Its renown and fame of the city are connected with the decision concerning the location of permanent seat of the bishops of Warmia here, who since 1243 wielded secular and spiritual power in Warmia. From then, until 1795, the Lidzbark castle accomodated distinguished Poles, prominent representatives of Polish culture: Łukasz Watzenrode, Nicolaus Copernicus, Jan Dantyszek, Stanisław Hozjusz, Marcin Kromer, Jan Stefan Wydżga, Andrzej Chryzostom Załuski, Adam Stanisław Grabowski. The last bishop of Warmia, resident at the Lidzbark castle, was Ignacy Krasicki. After his departure in 1794, the abandoned building gradually deteriorated. In 1927 the castle was subject to comprehensive restoration and a regional museum was established there. In 1963 the castle was taken over by the Museum of Warmia in Olsztyn, it was declared a monument of history and entered into group "0" of the register of monuments. Today it is a branch of the Museum of Warmia and Mazury. The castle hosts exhibitions of the old weaponry, bishops' memorabilia and paintings.