History Winding paths of the Estate
The palace was originally built for Baron Botho zu Eulenburg in 1589. Situated on a hill, it was designed from a defensive perspective. It is one of the few examples of Renaissance architecture which has been preserved in the area of old Prussia.
Originally the palace, including the main building and its wings, had a foundation in the shape of a U, but this structure was disturbed when the east side of the palace was destroyed. The entire complex was surrounded by a moat supplied with water from the river - the only possible way to get to the palace was using a drawbridge.
The main building was built on a rectangular plan and consists of two storeys with an attic. It is the oldest part of the palace. In the past, under the river bed, there existed an underground corridor which led to a nearby church, its exit having been established under the altar. Unfortunately no sign of it remains today.
In 1745 a granary was built, just in front of the entrance gate to the palace. It was built on a rectangular plan, featuring a hipped roof and two floors. It is one of the few buildings of its type in Warmia and Mazury.
In the mid-eighteenth century the stables, coach house and gate building were built. A hundred years later it was rebuilt with two towers on the north side of the palace, in the spirit of neo-Gothic design. The water level was lowered and the moat was put out of use.
At the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth century Galiny belonged to the group of the largest estates in the area and covered an area of 1260 ha.
In 1921, the neo-Gothic ornamental gates, the coach house, stables and towers were dismantled by Botho-Wend zu Eulenburg, and the palace acquired its present appearance. The work was led Silesian architect, Count Hochberg.
With the arrival of 1945 came dark times for the palace. The estate was was plundered and the last owner, Count Botho Wend zu Eulenburg, died during deportation to Siberia. The Palace itself miraculously survived but its interior was destroyed. Shortly after the war the public treasury of Poland took over the facility and began to organise summer camps for children. From that moment on, the palace and park started to decay.
The major renovation works of the buildings and their equipment took years, each reconstructed in accordance with the new functions that would be assigned to them. The buildings revealed a number of serious structural issues in need of attention. At the same time, a redesign of the devastated parklands was carried out with excavation works discovering traces of old ponds, dams and weirs of the river.
Nowadays there is a fully functioning accommodation facility with restaurant on the property, in addition to the horse riding club and riding school. After many years of neglect and mismanagement, this charming property has been brought back to life. Guests come here from different parts of Poland and abroad to find the courtyard buzzing with conversation, newborn foals in the stables, crops growing in the surrounding fields and the park in bloom.